Saturday, May 18, 2013

Edna O'Brien


I've been reading Edna O'Brien's first novel, The Country Girls, which is great if you're looking for a new book. It's fun and smart and slightly tawdry, which is how I imagine O'Brien. Sort of if Nell Dunn or Shelagh Delaney were from the Irish countryside.

O'Brien has just released a new memoir that recounts dropping acid with R.D. Laing and generally entrancing the likes of Robert Mitchum, Sean Connery and Paul McCartney in 60s London. I can see them all wrapped around her finger at some boozy gathering. McCartney wrote a song about her. I've only leafed through the memoir but on the very first page I fell upon O'Brien tells of her son being one of the child stars of Our Mother's House, so the good karma abounds. She also makes an appearance in this great Peter Whitehead movie.

"Swish lunch in Mayfair..."

No comments:

Post a Comment